Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Hungry - by Harry Shannan Best use of a Wedding Dress in a Zombie story

Originally read December 30, 2011     5 Stars

In the Acknowledgements at the end of the book, Harry Shannon thanks his co-writer, Steven W. Booth, for "sticking Penny Miller in that damn wedding dress". Yeah, I'd have to agree with that. There are a lot of Zombie books out there these days and to stand out it's got to be more than just humans blowing the brains out of the zombies. After just reading The Prologue, I knew I was in for a treat and I hadn't even met Sheriff Penny Miller yet. The writers' dialog is fresh, colorful and fun, and Penny shares a favorite saying with me, "F___ a duck". I can't say it here, but you get the idea. On the down side I was a little thrown by the way Sheriff Miller "checks out" each of the new male characters in the middle of a Zombie Apocalypse. Really. Seems something a guy might do. Ladies, let me know if I'm wrong. All in all, this one's a winner, fast paced and fun. A must read for any Zombie enthusiast and anyone with a hankerin' for a mighty fine tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment