Friday, March 9, 2012

13 Drops Of Blood - by James Roy Daley - Not a home run, but difiitely an extra base hit

Originall read February 22, 2012     4 Stars


OK, not sure why I used a baseball analogy for the title of this review. "13 Drops of Blood" has nothing to do with the great American pastime. Must just be that time of year.

This collection of short stories is my first exposure to James Roy Daley. I wasn't sure I was going to like this since it's one step above being self-published (James owns the publishing company, Books of the Dead Press) and I did find a few errors, that a better proofreading should have caught. But, that aside, I was very impressed with the work.

Nearly, every story was a hit (more baseball) with me. James set the tone with "The Exhibition". I found myself immersed in pure horror. The story was gruesome. It was extreme. It's definitely not for everyone, but if you love blood and guts, this one is for you. There were a number of truly original ideas in this book, plus Zombies, werewolves and vampires. I particularly liked "Summer of 1816". A blend of fact and fiction on how Mary Shelly might have come to write "Frankenstein". Certainly worth your time, especially if you like your horror with a bit of an edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment