Friday, March 9, 2012

Flee: A Thriller - by J. A. Konrath and Ann Voss Peterson - This will get your heart pumping

Originally read March 6, 2012     5 Stars

J.A. Konrath, Ann Voss Peterson, or their publisher, did a pretty smart thing here. They made "Exposed - A Codename: Chandler Novella" available for free. I downloaded it and then realised I wanted to read the origianl novel, "Flee - A Thriller", first. I hate to read sequels, even if they're stand alone stories. Fortunately, I was able to pick it up using my March Amazon Prime Lending Library selection.

At one point, I was a fan of the spy novel, having read all of Ian Fleming's, James Bond books and a good many of Robert Ludlum's books, as well. Recently, however, my taste has moved to Horror and "Flee - A Thriller" doesn't necessarily fall into that category. But there was something that drew me to this book and I'm so glad I was. What an incredible ride, within minutes the action was exploding from the page and never let up until the conclusion of the story.

Chandler, is a top government operative, trained to be the best. Her identity is known by only a handful and once her cover is blown, she can't trust anyone, especially when she takes out her own double, right down to the mole on her chest. There's much more to that, but no spoilers here.

Sure, the fate of the world rests in Chandler's actions and she escapes situations that you just don't see as being remotely possible, but that's not the point. What is, is the storytelling and Konrath and Peterson make an excellent team, keeping the action non-stop and, in the end presenting a completely satisfying work. Available for the Kindle for 2.99 and if you have your Amazon Prime Lending Library selection available for this month, you can't get it for free, as of the date of this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment