Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Spore - by Tamara Jones - Hard to describe, but oh so enjoyable

5 of 5 Stars

When Geoff Brown, the publisher of Cohesion press raves about a new work of horror, one that he isn't even responsible for, I tend to pay attention.  I'm so glad I did, the end result was getting to read Spore, the new novel by Tamara Jones, a new author for me, but one I hope to revisit soon.

Sean Casey is just an ordinary guy trying to get by as an artist for the Graphic novel Ghoulies.  He and his longtime girlfriend, Mare, live in Pinell, Iowa right by the Hobson Holiday Farm. What comes out of the farm on a Sunday morning in July will change their lives forever.

Spore is one of those novels filled with extraordinary circumstances, but with completely believable reactions.

There is so much going on in this story.  People long dead, living again.  Children being abducted, tortured, and killed  The twenty-year-old secret behind most of what is occurring, finally seeing the light of day.

The characters are so well conceived and brought to life brilliantly.  Some you can love and want to become friends with, others are so sick you just want to kill them yourself.  I particularly liked the fight scene between Mare and Sean's overbearing mother, Helene. Brilliant.

Spore  is like a really good B-Movie filled with twists I never saw coming and an unforgettable ending.

Available now in both paperback and as an e-book from Samhaim Horror.

Highly recommended.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, sounds like a book I need to look into. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete