Thursday, March 8, 2012

77 Shadow Street: A Novel by Dean Koontz - Read the wjhole book, it's worth it

Originally read January 20, 2012    4 Stars

Been reading, and enjoying Dean Koontz for a very long time. I must say this is one of his strangest books to date. Took me a while to get into it, but once I did, I found it hard to put down. Dean writes from the perspective of many of the residents of the exclusive Pendleton, at "77 Shadow Street", which had to be challenging, even for a writer of Dean's caliber. From a shy pre-teen, to a retired U. S. Senator, to an insane contract killer, each with their own, distinct persona.

Every 38 years, something tragic happens at the Pendleton and in 2011, it's happening again. As I mentioned, it did take me a while to see what the writer was trying to accomplish, I may be slow, but I couldn't get a grip on what the connections were until I was way into the book. However, from the halfway point, to the conclusion, I could feel the pace quickening and Dean does an amazing job of tying it all together by the story's end.

At one point I thought about only giving this book 3 stars, which would have been a disappointment for a Dean Koontz novel. But, now I feel very satisfied with this and am giving it 4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment