Thursday, April 23, 2015

Out of the Woods - by William D. Carl - A modern day Lovecraftian tale

4 of 5 Stars     Review copy

One of the best prologues I've ever read.  It's like a personal note from the author and ends with...

"I hope you don't just shrug this off as some sort of creature feature to be read under the covers with a flashlight on a dark and stormy night.

I hope you believe me.

Please, believe me."

While the writing was not the best, it didn't really matter. Reading Out of the Woods was akin to watching a B movie, not great cinema, it's not going to win any awards, but it is certainly a lot of fun.

St. Michael's Hospital for Mental Illness has seen better days.  Because of all the leaks in the roof, they don't even use the third floor of the facility anymore.  Rather than spend the tax-payers money to repair the building, it makes more sense to close the old hospital and move it's patients to other locations.

Right before the big move, an emergency results in the arrival of a new patient ranting about monsters only he sees and something about an old god.

Although, Lovecraftian in nature, I found Out of the Woods to be original and suitably creepy.  At times a bit gory, which is fine by me, and there were some very well constructed scenes.  Not the best Lovecraft inspired work I've read this year, but it was an enjoyable read.

Out of the Woods is available now, as both an ebook and in paperback, from Post Mortem Press and can be purchased through Amazon.com.

Recommended.


No comments:

Post a Comment