Saturday, June 7, 2014

Savage - by Gary Fry - In horror, taking the road less traveled is never a good idea

3 of 5 Stars     Review copy

Whenever a character in a dark fiction story decides to get off the main road, for any reason, you know something bad is going to happen.  For Daryl, it results in the failure of his GPS, his running out of fuel, his cell phone not getting a signal, and then stumbling upon a very strange village where everyone is disciplined.  If you're undisciplined it makes you an outsider and suspect for anything untoward that may have happened in town, like murder.

Daryl is an academic, coming from a conference, and the first person narrative of the story is presented in the way such a person might speak.  Frankly, it drove me to distraction.  I found myself hoping Daryl would come to a bad end, just to get him to shut up.

I was a bit disappointed in Savage, it's a part of the Darkfuse novella series and I've enjoyed nearly everything I've read from them and although this is the first story I've read by Gary Fry, I've heard very good things about his writing.

If you want to try Savage for yourself, it will be available for the Kindle through Amazon.com on June 10, 2014.  Plus, if you are a member of Amazon Prime, you can read it for FREE through the Kindle Owner's Lending Library.

No comments:

Post a Comment