Saturday, April 19, 2014

Deceiver - by Kelli Owen - This one's special to me

5 of 5 Stars     Review copy

Imagine my surprise when I read the following line in this novella's acknowledgements.  "...Frank Errington for the use of his name~sorry." What!?

I first met Kelli when I attended Horrible Saturday at the York Emporium a few Summers ago and again the following year at the same venue.  I picked up a couple of novellas that first July and have been reading and reviewing her books ever since.  I just checked, this is the seventh time I've reviewed one of her works and I've bought every one until this one, which I got through NetGalley to provide a review.

I keep coming back to her work for a couple of reasons.  One, I like the fact that she's a Pennsylvania writer.  Having lived in the state for most of my life, I just like to see others in the Commonwealth doing well.  Then, there's Kelli herself, a spitfire personality in a small package with a big heart.  But, most importantly, Kelli is an excellent writer.  No matter how crazy the overall story, there's always that element of truth that makes it totally believable.

In her latest novella, Deceiver, Kelli tells the story of grieving widower, Matt Newman.  His wife Tania was recently murdered while traveling on business.  Matt discovers a journal among her luggage and learns of a secret life.  Was his wife really the woman he thought she was, or is she something he never even imagined.

Deceiver shows the reader what happens when you assume.  Again and again.  Leading to a very satisfying ending.

Deceiver will be published for the Kindle in June of 2014 and is available now for pre-order from Amazon.com.

Of course, I recommend this one.  I'm in the freakin' story.


No comments:

Post a Comment