Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Jamaica Vu: The Strange Among the Familiar (issue one) - Magazine

5 of 5 Stars

I don't recall what it was that drew me to the website for this new dark fiction magazine, but I owe a debt of gratitude to whomever or whatever led me to that page.

Jamaica Vu: The Strange Among the Familiar (issue one), has a nice mix of "dark fiction, poetry, truthful morsels, criticism, and more."

Seven original stories from established writers and newcomers alike.  I particularly enjoyed the lead story from Gary A. Bruanbeck.  "Photo Caption" is a compelling and horrific tale of a man just trying to do the best for his family, cleverly told as captions in a photo album.  Another standout is "Video Nasties" from Max Booth III.  A wickedly good tale, loosely based an a true story, which just makes it that much more terrifying.

Jamaica Vu: The Strange Among the Familiar is off to an excellent start and if the editors continue to deliver the same quality storytelling they packed into the first issue, it should be around for years to come.  I liked it so much, I spent more money on issue two, which just came out for the Kindle today.

Jamaica Vu: The Strange Among the Familiar (issue one) is published by Post Mortem Press and is available in both print and ebook formats.

Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment