Friday, June 19, 2015

The Disassembled Man - by Jon Bassoff - A strange yet enjoyable exercise in psycho noir

4 of 5 Stars     Review copy

The Disassembled Man is the third work I've read by Jon Bassoff and I have enjoyed each one.  In his latest piece for Darkfuse, Jon takes the reader on a joyride that mixes the noir, hard-core crime, and horror genres with mostly successful results.

Frankie Avicious works in a slaughterhouse called Sunshine Foods, killing all day every day.  I guess you could say killing came easy for Frankie.

The author's use of similes in this story was great fun.  A few choice examples include...

"I couldn't have gotten a break if I'd smashed my own fingers with a hammer."

"Huerfano was your typical Norman Rockwell town--if Norman Rockwell had been an unemployed drug addict."

"...hungrier than a fasting Ethiopian."

I enjoyed every bit of this rough and tumble story.  The author even managed a few surprises along the way.

The Disassembled Man is available now from Darkfuse in both Paperback and ebook formats.  If you subscribe to Kindle Unlimited you can read this one at no additional charge. If you have Amazon Prime you can borrow it for FREE from the Kindle Owners Lending Library.

Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment