Tuesday, June 16, 2015

The Devil's Only Friend (John Cleaver) - Dan Wells - The start of a new series of stories featuring John Cleaver, demon hunter

5 of 5 Stars     Review copy

Admittedly, I have never read the original trilogy of books in the John Cleaver series.  One of these days I will need to rectify that.  I'm also happy to say, it's not necessary to have read any of the other books to enjoy The Devil's Only Friend.

Reminiscent of Harry Dresden from the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher, John Cleaver is a bit of an anti-hero, quick-witted with a sharp tongue, and an urge to kill.  An urge that he controls in an unusual way.  It's these tendencies that make him good at his job, working for a secret government kill team, using his gift to hunt and kill as many monsters as he can.

The Devil's Only Friend works very well as a stand-alone novel.  The writing is crisp and clear.  The action fast-paced and intense.  I was barely through the first chapter when I realized I was going to love this book.  Saving mankind is deadly serious business, but there's just a perfect dash of humor to break the tension once in a while.

Nothing quite goes as expected in this story and by the time it's over, John Cleaver finds himself asking, "Have I been wasting my time trying to be the good guy, when good and bad don't even make sense anymore."

I'd love to see this character on TV or in the movies, but for now, I'll have to settle for the printed word and am eagerly looking forward to the next book in the series.

Available in all formats from a variety of retailers, The Devil's Only Friend  is published by Tor.

Highly recommended.





No comments:

Post a Comment