Thursday, January 22, 2015

It's Only Death - by Lee Thompson - Coming home isn't all it's cracked up to be

4 of 5 Stars     Review copy

Lee Thompson writes Dark Fantasy and Noir fiction under his own name, Coming-of-Age Suspense as Thomas Morgan, and Supernatural Thrillers as Julian Vaughn.  If I had to categorize It's Only Death, I'd call it Hard-core Crime Drama.  Horror without the monsters.

It's the fourth of July, and the opening line is a killer.  "They clubbed me and tossed me into the trunk of a new pink Cadillac shortly after midnight."

From there, the author brings us back a couple of days to see exactly how Elmore James Jackson came to be in this dire situation.

Elmore, or I guess I should say James, since that's the name he prefers to go by, has come home to see his mother one more time, before she dies.  After ten years gone, no one is happy to see him, not even his mother.  It most likely has something to do with the last thing he did before he took off.  No spoiler, but it's bad, very bad, and more than a few people would rather see him dead than see him at all.

I've never met a character with more of a death wish.  Others even ask James numerous times if he has a death wish...even James thinks he does.

It's Only Death is filled with characters I felt strongly about.  Characters I either liked or disliked. Very little middle ground, but they were all strongly written.

The latest from Darkfuse, It's Only Death, is available now, in the Kindle format, through Amazon.com.  If you subscribe to Kindle Unlimited you can read this one at no additional charge or if you have Amazon Prime you could make it this month's selection from the Kindle Owners Lending Library.

Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment