Monday, November 3, 2014

Ghosts of Eden - by Keith Deininger - Like an acid trip that just won't end

3.5 of 5 Stars     Review copy

I read the opening line. "The man in the street, walking awkwardly in his wrinkled slacks and dress shirt buttoned all the way to his neck at midnight, seemed out of place in the neighborhood, as if he's arrived from another world." I thought, this looks like fun.

Ghosts of Eden was fun in a weird way.  Where magic and physics merge into one, where "Those with the ability to travel between universes, to visit and speak with and influence the minds of the observers--what physicists call the inhabitants of other planets--on distant worlds, would hold the power to guide and shape the course of the multiverse itself."

After the death of her parents, Kayla Greenwood is sent to live with her uncle.  Garty Branson has never met a recreational drug he didn't try.  After a particularly rough experience at a multi-day music festival, Garty, now in possession of a mysterious jar of nothing, is sent to live with his uncle.  Same uncle, Dr. William Eldritch Xander, who isn't at all what we are led to believe.

What kept me from loving this book was that I really didn't like any of the characters.  I didn't feel as if I knew any of then very well and I didn't particularly care what happened to them.  Then there was the overall weirdness of what the children were up against.  When it was over, I felt as if I had just come down from a rather bad trip.

Ghosts of Eden is from Darkfuse and set to be released on November 4th for the Kindle.  If you subscribe to Kindle Unlimited you can read this one at no additional charge.

I can't really come out and recommend Ghosts of Eden, but much like taking LSD back in the '60s, your experience may vary.


No comments:

Post a Comment