Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Hell's Door - by Sandy DeLuca - Very effective horror novella

5 of 5 Stars

A serial killer is stalking Providence, killing mostly prostitutes. Detectives Lacey Powers and John Demmings have a pretty good idea who's responsible, but lack evidence to make an arrest.  They go undercover to keep a close eye on the proprietor of Hell's Door, Ramsey Wolfe, a notorious pimp who rules her territory with an iron fist.

DeLuca does a wonderful job of keeping the reader guessing at the truth right to the final pages with an ending I never saw coming.

The mood of the book is dark, the horror is palpable, and the trips inside the killer's mind are nothing short of brilliant.  

"Hello Detectives,

I admire the work you do.  We all have jobs to do...some more unpleasant than others.  

There are so many of you in this city and I've always wondered just who is looking for me. I imagine what you might look like, and what you might think of my work.  

I left something special for you, because I knew you'd come.  How many times have you asked yourself why I do what I do?

Please understand that I am a savior, taking away pain and loneliness, cutting off all paths to self-destruction.  I am good, so much like you, but you can't see it now.  And their blood, their flesh--remnants of all those girls...the souls of the ones I become...give me the strength to go on...to save others.

So, see you around, I've got killing to do.  I have several names, but for now I am...

--Azrael

Well-written, dark, yet at times lyrical, Hell's Door slowly builds to a crescendo with a climax I dare you to see coming.

Hell' s Door is published by Darkfuse and is available now at Amazon.com.  And, if you are an Amazon Prime member you can read it for free through the Kindle Owners' Lending Library.

This is horror at its finest.  Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment