Monday, October 20, 2014

Lucky's Girl - by William Holloway - Excessive sex and violence, but overall a good horror story

4 of 5 Stars     Review copy

I was able to get a copy of Lucky's Girl through LibraryThing.com.   William Holloway is a new author for me and I was drawn to his story by this amazing synopsis...

"Something has awakened on Grove Island. Something that, even in sleep, has held Elton Township in its black embrace. Something old, wise and patient. Something that walked the ancient forests and howled beneath black skies."

Did the story deliver on what was promised?  It most certainly did, but it didn't end there.  What wasn't in the blurb was how far the story would go to show how depraved, perverse and outright disgusting things would turn.

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not a prude.  I read horror for enjoyment, but there was something just a bit off-putting about Lucky's Girl.   The story became extremely sexual and not in a nice way. At one point I made a note for myself that the story "was as disgusting as it could get," then another that "I was wrong, it just got more disgusting" and before long another note that said "more disgusting."

Lucky's Girl is "a crazy story, fragmented and baroque, of hideous orgies covered in dreck, bestiality, lycanthropy, mass hypnotic visions, and trees with eyes." And that is just scratching the surface.

On the plus side, Lucky's Girl is filled with memorably flawed  characters.  Even the heroes are far from perfect, and the storyline itself is imaginative and well-plotted.  I stayed away from 5 stars primarily because of too much gratuitous sex and violence.  There's a line I never expected to write in a horror review, but as they say, sometimes less is actually more.

Lucky's Girl is available now in print and in ebook formats at Amazon.com.

Recommended with the above warning for excessive sex and violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment