Sunday, March 16, 2014

R/T/M - by Sean Douglas -A sexually explicit look into the mind of a misogynistic killer

3 of 5 Stars   Review copy

R/T/M stands for Rape/Torture/Murder and it's all there and much of it is horribly disgusting.  I ask myself, "Why would you even choose to read something so morally reprehensible?" The fact that I even have such conversations with myself may answer that question.

It all started when writer Kit Power gave me a collection of shorts called, Till Death Do Us Part, which I read and reviewed a few weeks ago.  It's a good collection and worth checking out. The title story, "Till Death Do Us Part," was written by Sean Douglas.  It was about a guy trying to rekindle a relationship with an old flame after the zombie apocalypse.  I like it a lot.

As I often do after reading a new author, I check out his online presence.  His description of himself on his Facebook page was priceless.

"Sean Douglas does not want to get to know you and isn't interested if you want to get to know him.  He's not interested in coming to your town and making small talk with you or meeting your unattractive girlfriend.  Sean Douglas is interested in writing books, smoking cigarettes, drinking coffee and not sleeping.  Sean Douglas does not have any distinguishing scars or marks and where he lives is none of your (explitive deleted) business."

To make this long story just a bit longer, I offered to read his novel, R/T/M and provide a fair and honest review.  So here we go.

R/T/M is not for everyone.  It's not even for most people.  I'm certain there is a segment of the reading public which will be drawn to this work, much the same way one's eyes are drawn to the accident scene where the emergency responders are using the Jaws of Life to extricate a body from the wreckage.

In the Foreward, Sean Douglas tells us how the book came about, how he had a friend no one would want to have as a friend and he told him he should write a book.  What follows is the result.

In keeping with the protagonist's desire of anonymity, we don't have his name.  We do know he lives in his parent's basement, but his parents are both dead, his mother from Cancer and his father from grief.  The bulk of the story is about the various methods he uses over the years to lure women to his basement for sex, sometimes rape, occasionally torture and even murder.

The descriptions are explicit and often repetitive.  I don't consider myself a prude, but I did find it all a bit much after a while.

Also, the work could use a good proofreading.  With more than a few errors, I found it to be a little distracting.

Although, I can't really recommend R/T/M, if you want to check it out for yourself the work is Published by Burnt Offerings Books and is available as a paperback and ebook from Amazon.com.




No comments:

Post a Comment