Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Dark Curtain - by Natasha A. Salnikova - Psychological Thriller

2 of 5 Stars    Review Copy

There is definitely a story in here, maybe even a good story, but I cannot in good conscience recommend Dark Curtain with so many grammatical errors.  I'm talking no fewer than 50.  Predominately incorrect tense, but other glaring errors, like using "ridicule" when the sentence calls for "ridiculous" not once, but twice.

I liked the premise well enough, "After an attack in the park, Roman loses his memory.  He tries to remember his past as any person would do in his place.  Only what he finds terrifies him.  Is he really the man his family and friends know?"  So when the author contacted me and asked that I read her work and provide a review, I said, "Sure."  What a mistake that was.  I'm not going to say I'll never read another story I'm asked to read, but I will certainly be more selective in the future.

One last comment here.  The surprise ending is a gem, but the author needs a better editor and could benefit from a professional proofreader, remember spell-check only finds spelling errors.

Note:  After publishing this review I received the following note from the author...Thank you very much Frank for your honest review. I think there was some kind of mistake during uploading process, I can't figure it out. The book was edited and proofread. The proofreader didn't find many errors, but I keep hearing from people about lack of editing. It makes me extremely frustrated. I also got three different files from my proofreader and maybe that got messed up. I reloaded the file and I hope that one is correct. Anyway, thank you for reading. Happy New Year. Natasha



No comments:

Post a Comment