Monday, June 18, 2012

Midnight Theater: Tales of Terror - by Greg Chapman - A solid, but short collection of Horror


5 of 5 Stars

Midnight Theatre is a treat for horror lovers everywhere. 

This collection of 5 shorts begins with Precious Blood.  Father Duncan Malloy is a priest at a small Catholic Church in Ireland and just before closing the doors for the night, he is coerced into the confessional by someone who's been around for a very, very long time. 

From a vampire tale in Ireland to a story of the undead in New Orleans, next up is Relish, which starts with Jerry Thornton "naked, tied up in the the dark, in the middle of nowhere and he didn't know why." 

I thoroughly enjoyed Hell-O-Ween.  There's something about demon children "Trick or Treating" in Hell that just makes me smile. 

There's also Patrick Oswald Edwards, a piece which reminded me of Edgar Allen Poe, might've been the reference to The Pit and the Pendulum, but I was actually thinking of Poe before I even got to that part. 

Chapman finishes strong with a story about time in The Breadth of An Instance.  My favorite or as Greg would say, "favourite", he's Australian after all.

All 5 stories are imbued with strong prose, something he has in common with Canadian Horror writer Rio  Youers.  That's pretty good company.

Going into this collection, I knew that Greg Chapman excelled at the Novella, having given 5 stars to both Torment and The Noctuary.  After reading Midnight Theatre, I am convinced he can write short fiction as well.  I just wish he's get around to writing a full-length novel.  Something I could really get lost in for a few days.

As of the writing of this review, Midnight Theatre, is available for free from Smashwords.  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/41734

No comments:

Post a Comment