Thursday, January 17, 2019

Review: Glimpse - by Jonathan Maberry

5 of 5 Stars (Purchased at a Book Signing directly from author)

No doubt, Jonathan Maberry has the ability to grab your attention with just a few words...

"It's like that sometimes. 
     It starts weird and in the wrong place.
     This did
     Rain Thomas went to bed on Thursday and woke up on Saturday.
She had no idea at all that someone had stolen a whole day from her until she arrived twenty-three hours and forty-eight minutes late for a job interview.
     The interview did not go well."

I'm hooked.  Instantly.  No turning back.

One of the things I really liked about Maberry's latest novel is there are no squeaky-clean characters, they all have faults, much like what you find in real life but, at the same time Glimpse has little to do with real life.  Having left her reading glasses at home, Rain is given a pair by an elderly Latino woman on the bus.  A pair which gives her glimpses of things she wouldn't see otherwise.

When returning to the work of a favorite author there's a comfort level like no other.

Rain got pregnant as a teenager and gave up her child, Dylan, out of necessity.  The decision haunts her, even in her dreams...

"I think it means those glasses are telling me the truth.  I think it means that my son is out there, that I've been seeing him.  And I think—God help me—I think he's in real trouble...I think monsters are trying to kill him."

A master storyteller weaving reality and dreams, but are they dreams, and what is real and what is imagination?

Mayberry has a knack of reaching out of the page, grabbing ahold of you and drawing you into the story.  The man has some serious writing chops...

"Rain wanted to run.  Not run home.  Just run.  Any way.  Far away.  She wanted to outrun her life."

At times Glimpse is scary as hell.  My first great read of 2019.  I loved this book although, from the other reviews I've seen, not everyone did.  I understand their complaints, but for me, it comes down to how much you are willing to become invested in the story.  This is not a novel for the casual reader

Ultimately this is a story of hope.  Sure, there's violence, blood, and pain, not to mention weird, there's plenty of weird., but without hope, it's just so many words.

Recommended.

Published by St. Martin's Press and available in hardcover, e-book, and audio formats.

From the author's bio - Jonathan Maberry is a New York Times bestselling and multiple Bram Stoker Award-winning author.  Probably best known for his Joe Ledger novels and for his award-winning YA Rot & Ruin series.  He currently resides in Del Mar, California and you can find him online at jonathanmaberry.com.




No comments:

Post a Comment