Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Stranded - by Bracken MacLeod - Fighting the elements in the Arctic is just the beginning

4 of 5 Stars     Review copy

We often hear the words "eagerly awaited," but generally it just doesn't apply to me.  However, I can honestly use these words to describe Bracken Macleod's new novel, Stranded.  I first heard about this book at NECON (a retreat for writers and fans, held in Rhode Island, each July).  When I saw the cover and heard the synopsis, I knew I'd have to add this to my TBR list.

"The Arctic Promise was headed in a bearing for the northeast Chukchi Sea, carrying supplies for the OrbitOil drilling platform Niflheim.  The voyage would have been hard under normal circumstances without a hurricane force storm threatening to capsize their ship."

The storm leaves the sixteen man crew off course, isolated, and in an impenetrable mist, which seems to have effected both the navigation and communications system.  Before long the Arctic Promise becomes ice bound and now they are well and truly Stranded.

Some of my favorite stories are about groups of diverse people and what happens when they are cut off from the rest of the world in the most dire of circumstances.  What follows takes that familiar trope and turns it upside down.  To go much further would be giving too much away.  Best to discover the twists and turns in story for yourself.

Stranded is not quite perfect, I was left with some unanswered questions, leaving me to speculate on one aspect of the story in particular, but overall, I'd have to say this book was worth the wait and is one I would definitely recommend.

Stranded is published by Tor Books and is available in paperback and e-book formats.

From the author's bio - Bracken MacLeod has worked as a martial arts teacher, a university philosophy instructor, for a children's non-profit, and as a trial attorney. His short fiction has appeared in various magazines and anthologies.  In addition to Stranded, he is the author of Mountain Home, and the novella White Knight.  Bracken lives in New England and is currently at work on his next novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment