Friday, October 16, 2015

The Leper Window - by Frazer Lee - A mix of mystery and the occult

3 of 5 Stars     Review copy

Frazer Lee's first novel, The Lamplighters, was a Bram Stoker Award Finalist for 'superior achievement in a first novel.'  He's also a screenwriter and filmmaker who resides with his family in Buckinghamshire, England.

The Leper Window starts with one of the better openings I've read in recent memory.  "Daniel Gates's last assignment involving a rare demonic book left him plagued by hideous nightmares, which are about to get even worse."

Here's what we have in The Leper Window.  The story is that of a rare, mysterious book, Choronzon's Grimoire, which has been vandalized.  A page has been torn from the book and Daniel Gates has been brought in to locate the missing page and the person responsible.

I'm not certain where this story went wrong for me.  The writing seems capable, but the tale itself seemed to be missing something.  I didn't particularly care for any of the characters, I didn't even care about the book, and I'm a bit fanatical about the care of my personal collection.

Of course your reading experience may vary.  The Leper Window is available now as an e-book from Samhain Publishing.












No comments:

Post a Comment