Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Sex, Death & Honey - by Brian Knight - Here comes trouble!

5 of 5 Stars  (Review Copy)

When I read, I generally read for fun.  It's not that I don't like to learn, but my job in IT requires that I learn new things all the time and when I'm ready to relax with a book, the last thing I want to do is use my brain.  No problem here, Sex, Death & Honey requires no heaving thinking.  It's like candy for the brain and calories be damned.

This is how the hero describes himself... "My name is Butch Quick, and I deal with Paradise Valley’s less savory residents for a living.  I work for my Uncle Higheagle and his various enterprises.   Depending on his current needs I am a nightclub bouncer, a repo man, a bail bond recovery agent, and pretty much any other job too dangerous or dirty for anyone else to do."

In Sex, Death & Honey it's a simple repo job on a 1968 Mustang convertible.  However, we find out soon enough why the series is called The Misadventures of Butch Quick.

The writing here is direct and refreshing, very down to Earth.  There's also a parrot, sorry...a macaw, with a very colorful vocabulary, used effectively in a comic relief role.

"Nothing says I'm doing something illegal, please arrest me quite like a giant Indian running with a birdcage under his arm."

Once again, I found myself outside of the Horror genre with this book, but I do enjoy a good crime novel on occasion, especially John Sandford's Prey series and James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheau novels.  Both excellent series.  Sex, Death & Honey isn't quite at that level, but it sure was a lot of fun.

If you'd like to sample Brian's writing and take a look at the seedy side of Paradise Valley before purchasing Sex, Death & Honey you can now get Big Trouble In Little Boots in both Kindle and ePub formats for FREE by visting the Genius Book Publishing website.

Sex, Death & Honey will be available on August 17, 2012 in print and ebook formats from Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Apple ITunes, Kobo and wherever books are sold.


No comments:

Post a Comment