Sunday, February 24, 2019

Review: The Blade This Time - by Jon Bassoff

4 of 5 stars     Review copy

I recently discovered Down and Out Books has rescued the Jon Bassoff books which had been published by the now-defunct Darkfuse publishers, meaning The Incurables, The Disassembled man, Corrosion, and The Blade This Time, are all back in print.

Somehow, I never got around to reading The Blade This Time.  That oversight has now been corrected.

I am a sucker for a good opening to a story.  Take note...

"The world above was poisoned, maybe dead, and now I staggered through the abandoned tunnels, eyes adjusted to the darkness, ears pricked to the distant sound of a subway echoing against rubbled concrete.  Rats scurried along the broken tracks, gnawing greedily at the scattered garbage and each other’s tails.  Occasionally I felt one crawl beneath my jeans, slender teeth pressing against my skin, and I cursed and slapped it away."

Early on, I had no idea where the story was going, but it hardly mattered, the writing was marvelous and totally captivating.  Filled with amazing images and wonderful prose...

"...fire escapes crawling up the building like spiders."

Jon writes immersive, wildly imaginative tales, here with a stream of consciousness style...

"...the irrational thought didn’t scare me. I knew that a vicious death was exactly what I needed. Because only when we suffer, only when we scream, only when we die, are we truly enlightened. The solitary truth in this world is horror."

You'll notice, I didn't go into any detail about the story itself, no synopsis.  The reason for that is The Blade This Time is all about discovery.  I'd just like to say, it's worth reading, as are all of Jon Bassoff's books.

Published by Down and Out Books, The Blade This Time is available in paperback and e-book formats.

Jon Bassoff was born in 1974 in New York City and currently lives in a ghost town somewhere in Colorado.  He was called the “king of creepy crime-horror fiction” by Tom Piccirilli, a four-time winner of the Bram Stoker Award.  His debut novel, Corrosion, won the DarkFuse Readers’ Choice Award for best novel, and two of his novels, Corrosion and The Disassembled Man, have been adapted for the big screen. The Blade This Time is his fifth novel.




No comments:

Post a Comment