Thursday, December 20, 2018

Review: The Faithful - by Matt Hayward

4 of 5 Stars     Review copy

The beginning of Matt Hayward's latest novel finds Jonsey Morris trying to connect with his son, the problem is Caleb has no idea Jonesy is his father.

Then there's Leo Cartwright, a comedian who just recorded his final special and his last show as he prepares for retirement.  After the show, Leo meets up with Christopher Tate who has cerebral palsy.  Christopher shares a very strange story...

"'A strange town,' Christopher continued.  'In my dreams. People are… people are odd there.  I know how crazy this sounds.  But… I think I saw my parents… I think they lived there.  It’s a dark place, that’s the only way I can put it.  Dangerous.  In my dreams I can walk, I can talk properly, I’m free.  And there’s an old man with me, a man named Jarrad.  He shows me the truth behind the town.  He shows me the people for what they really are.  They’re not what they seem to be.'  He took a beat, and Leo waited.  'At least once a week, for two years, I’ve had this vision.  It’s not a normal dream.  It’s something else.  I wanted to tell you… Because he told me it was important.'"

The town in question is Elswich, North Carolina and this is where Matt's story takes on a Lovecraftian flair.  When Jonsey meets the man in Christopher's visions, Jarrad Prescott, this is what is learned...

"'...there’s a war ready to kick off, son.  A war older than anyone could ever imagine.  One between our people and theirs.  Us and them.  A war we won long, long ago, but one they haven’t forgiven us for ever since.'  'Our people?'Jarrad smiled a smile missing half its teeth. 'Not black or white, boy. Humanity.'  'And who are they?'  'Others. I don’t think they really have a name. Not one that sits on our tongue, at least. They’re old, malicious creatures, that’s all I know. Vile things, really.'"

Although I enjoyed The faithful, I must admit I've read similar stories which were better executed, in spite of a stunning climax, thus the four-star review.

If you're a fan of Lovecraftian horror, you don't want to miss this one.  Certainly recommended

Published by Sinister Grin Press, The Faithful is available in Paperback and e-book formats.

Matt Hayward is a Bram Stoker Award-nominated author and musician from Wicklow, Ireland.  His books include Brian Dead Blues, What Do Monsters fear?, and Practitioners (with Patrick Lacey). He compiled the best-selling anthology Welcome To the Show and is currently writing a novel with Bryan Smith.


No comments:

Post a Comment