Sunday, April 9, 2017

The Boulevard Monster by Jeremy Hepler

4 of 5 Stars     Review copy

The Boulevard Monster is told in the first person.  I mention this because first person storytelling doesn't always work for me me, but here it's use was extremely effective.  Seth Fowler swears the story he's putting to paper is the truth. However, he admits...

Jurors would never see me as an honest, sane, God-fearing man. I get that.  I understand.  I'm not writing this in the hopes of clearing my name with the authorities or the public.  I'm writing it so my wife Brianne and daughter Sera will know my side of the story. 

The Boulevard Monster is a tale that actually teared me up on occasion.  Seth Fowler seems to be a good man, deep down inside.  A man doing his best for his family, while keeping  terrible secret.  It all begins when he discovers a body in the back of his best friend's pick-up.  Later, when he's made a offer he literally can't refuse, he suddenly has all the money he needs, but at what cost?

All-in-all a wonderful "what would you do" kind of story with an element of the unknown in the personage of the mysterious Luther and the blue jays which seem to keep him appraised of Seth's every move.

In the end it's left to the reader to decide if we believe Seth's story or were we seeing into the mind of a man who was slowly losing his hold on reality.  It's a story well told and one which will leave you wondering after the final page.

The Boulevard Monster is an emotional read and, ultimately, a sad story that builds to a gritty conclusion.  A great first novel and I'm certainly looking forward to his next project.

Recommended.

The Boulevard Monster is published by Bloodshot Books and is available in both paperback and Kindle formats.  If you subscribe to Kindle Unlimited you can read it at no additional charge.  Also, if you are an Amazon Prime member you can read it for FREE using the Kindle Owners Lending Library.

From the author's bio - Jeremy Hepler is a native of the Texas Panhandle and is a stay-at-home dad who lives with his wife Tricia and son Noah in a small rural community in the Heart of Texas. Other than writing suspense and horror novels, he loves to read, garden, draw, and repurpose old furniture.

No comments:

Post a Comment