Friday, August 28, 2015

Eden (An Archer & Bennett Thriller) - by Candice Fox - A challenging mix of crime and horror

4 of 5 Stars     Review copy

Candice Fox is the middle child of a large, eccentric family from Sydney’s western suburbs composed of half-adopted and pseudo siblings. She currently works lecturing writing at the University of Notre Dame while undertaking a PhD in literary censorship and terrorism.

Eden is her second novel, a sequel of sorts to Hades, winner of the Ned Kelly Award for best first fiction from the Australian Crime Writers Association.

It was the tagline for Eden that made me want to read this book more than anything else.  "Justice is good.  Vengeance is better."  I do love a good story of vengeance.

This is one of those instances where I wish I had read the first novel first. Although, it's not absolutely necessary, I often got the feeling I was missing something.

The author has a very smooth, comfortable writing style and I was quickly able to become immersed in the story.  That being said, there were some occasions when I felt a little lost, it wasn't until late in the book that I realized why. I was thinking all of the storylines took place in the same timeline, but that's not the case.

There are a number of gems in Eden.  One line in particular, "'I hate to tell you, but you're on the tail of a wild goose you wouldn't want to catch.'"

Eden reads like one of those 3000 piece jigsaw puzzles where once you find the key piece everything else falls right into place.  Taken as a hole this was a very satisfying read.

Eden (An Archer & Bennett Thriller) is available now in both paperback and e-book formats from Kensington Publishers.

Recommended.




No comments:

Post a Comment