Friday, July 24, 2015

In Silent Graves - by Gary A. Braunbeck - In the words of the Grateful Dead "What a long strange trip it's been"

4 of 5 Stars     Review copy

Have you ever read a story that confused the Hell out of you and yet you found it to be totally enjoyable?  For me, this perfectly describes my experience having just finished reading Gary A. Bruambeck's In Silent Graves.  There were times reading this book where I felt totally lost and yet by the end it all made sense.

Robert Londrigan and wife, Denise, have a spat about a child abuse story which Robert used as the lead on the six o'clock newscast without giving his pregnant wife a heads up. Denise finds such stories disturbing and Robert will usually let her know so she can avoid getting upset.  Robert leaves the house to clear his head and when he comes back he finds his world has been turned upside down.

In Silent Graves is a book that, at times, is bizarre, inexplicable, surreal, utterly strange, disgusting and yet ultimately beautiful, with richly detailed characters, and a story which explores the ancient Greek concepts of time.  You see, the Greek had two words for time, chronos, referring to chronological or sequential time, and kairos, signifying a time lapse, a moment of indeterminate time in which everything happens.

"As a child I longed for 'Once Upon a Time.'
As an adult I dismissed it.
Now I have no choice but to embrace it."

As confusing as I found In Silent Graves to be, I'm very glad I read this book.  I have a feeling it's going to be on my mind for days to come.  This is a new, author's preferred version, just released simultaneously by Journalstone publications, in hardback, paperback and e-book editions.

Recommended.


No comments:

Post a Comment