Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Oasis of the Damned - by Greg F. Gifune

3 of 5 Stars     Review copy

First, let me mention that I am a fan of Greg Gifune.  In the last few years, I've read six of his works, from short stories to novellas, to full length novels and I have not been disappointed.  I will continue to seek out his stories, because he's one of the best in the genre.

All that being said, Oasis of the Damned left me dry.  An oasis in the middle of the Sahara desert where Owens is the last member of a military group that had crashed nearby, that is, until Heather Richter shows up, herself the sole survivor of a helicopter crash

When night falls, Owens and Richter must fight for their lives against an enemy that is legion.

   "'You've seen nothing,' he snapped.  'You got no idea the kinds of things they can do, the things they'll show you, they--they get in your head and you can't get them out because they know what we love and what we hate.  They know what scares us, what breaks us down and make us vulnerable.'
   Richter squared her stance.  Exhausted as she was , she'd had enough of his cryptic nonsense.  'I asked before.  I'll ask again.  What the hell are these things?'
   'You asked, I told you.'
   'You said they were ghouls.'
   'That's right, straight of of Hell.'
   'I don't believe in Hell.'
   'Hell doesn't care.'"

As you can see, the writing is top notch.  It's the story that didn't do anything for me.  It could be me. Maybe it's allegory, I've never been very good with allegory.  Your experience may vary.

Oasis of the Damned is part of the ongoing novella series from Darkfuse and is available now at Amazon.com.  If you subscribe to Kindle Unlimited you can read this one at no additional charge.






No comments:

Post a Comment