Tuesday, May 10, 2016

I Hate Fairyland - Volume One: Madly Ever After - by Skottie Young - A kick-ass fairy tale for adults

5 of 5 Stars     Review copy

OK.  I'm not the biggest fan of comic books, but when I Hate Fairyland came into Cemetery Dance for review, I took one look at the synopsis and knew I had to check this out.

What a trip.  Artist and author, Skottie Young has concocted a colorful, imaginative, raw blood fest that's reminiscent of the old Fractured Fairy Tales...on acid.

I love the artwork, it reminds me of the old Garbage Pail Kids cards I collected back in the day, only with more blood.

I Hate Fairyland follows the adventures of six-year-old Gertrude who one day wishes "she could be taken away to an amazing world filled with wonder, and magic, and laughter, and joy."  Be careful what you wish for.  Twenty-Seven years later, Gertrude is still trying to find her way home.

I love the way Skottie has taken everything sweet and beautiful and just turned it all upside down and inside out.  With a delightfully wicked sense of humor, it's difficult not to fall in love with Gertrude, her guide, Larrigan Wentsworth, III, Queen Cloudia, and the many other demented characters in I Hate Fairyland.

Published  by Image Comics, the complete five comic series will be available in the single volume, I Hate Fairyland Volume 1: Madly Ever After.  Rated M for Mature.

For the child that's inside every horror fan screaming to be let free, don't miss I Hate Fairyland Volume 1: Madly Ever After.

Skottie Young is a New York Times Best Selling cartoonist who makes his home in Central Illinois with his wife, two sons, and two dogs that drive him crazy.  (The dogs, not the humans.)

No comments:

Post a Comment