Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Hounacier (Valducan Book 2) - by Seth Skorkowsky - Urban fantasy with some wonderful twists

5 of 5 Stars     Review copy

I had more fun reading this than anything else I've read in recent memory. What I expected going in was a rehash of book one in the Valducan series. What I got was a great stand-alone novel in the Valducan world.

Author, Seth Skorkowsky has come up with a winning formula featuring the Valducan, a group of demon-hunting knights who find and keep track of all holy weapons and whose library of demon species and lore is massive.

Whereas book one dealt with the weapon Dämoren, book two focuses on Hounacier.  Given there are dozens of such weapons, Skorkowsky could work in this world for some time to come.  Truth be told, I'd be quite happy if that was the case.

Like it's predecessor, Hounacier, is fast-paced, filled with monsters and monster hunters, and gets to the action from the very beginning, barely allowing the reader a chance to catch a breath. Unlike the first book, there is a very big twist halfway through.  Not gonna spoil it, ya gotta read it, but this turned out to be one of the things I liked most about Hounacier.  In my opinion this unexpected twist leads to a much better story.

Hounacier is a wild rollercoaster of a tale which will ultimately lift your spirits.

Hounacier (Valducan Book 2) is available now for the Kindle, from Ragnarok publications, through Amazon.com.

Although I'd recommend reading book 1 first, it's really not necessary.  Hounacier works well on it's own and is one that comes with my highest recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment